Re: Updating waf to 1.6

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:28:10 +0100
Thomas Moschny <thomas.moschny@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So we have these options (from hard to easy):
> - force packagers to patch their packages to run with system's waf
> - start packaging multiple versions of waf (e.g. waf16 for F-13 and
> F-14)
> - allow packages to embed a copy of waf

As far as I know the waf author himself considers embedding the right
way to go for projetcs.

Samba4 (and soon talloc, tdb tevent, we are building them these days)
do embed their own copyof waf together with project extensions to waf.

The best thing is to not package waf on and in itself, and let package
embed the right version. At least until waf becomes mature enough that
the rate of change slows down to the point that option 1 becomes
feasible.

Option 2 is just begging for maintenance nightmares.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York