[HEADS-UP] MySQL 5.5 coming soon to rawhide

Since MySQL AB^W^WSun^WOracle has now declared the mysql 5.5.x release
series to be GA status, I'm planning to push it into rawhide shortly to
replace the 5.1.x series.  Theoretically, this will go pretty smoothly.

I'm aware of a couple of ABI-level issues:

1. libmysqlclient.so, which is linked into all manner of stuff, is
supposed to be ABI-compatible with the previous releases.  However,
I got tired of the amount of visible churn in exported-symbols-you're-
not-supposed-to-use.  The new release will use a linker --version-script
to hide everything except the documented API functions.  This might
break any apps that are relying on non-API functions.  If so, I'm
willing to consider on a case-by-case basis whether to add those symbols
back to the ABI or fix the callers.

2. libmysqlclient_r.so is gone altogether; there's no need for it since
the regular libmysqlclient.so library is supposed to be thread safe.
AFAIK this will require rebuilding only the following packages:

mysql++
mysql-connector-c++
nekovm
qt-mysql

For now I'll include a symlink libmysqlclient_r.so -> libmysqlclient.so,
so that a simple rebuild with no source-code changes should be
sufficient.  Eventually we'll probably want to fix the source code to
not refer to libmysqlclient_r, but that might take awhile if upstreams
are worried about portability.

There are also some SQL-level incompatibilities called out here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/upgrading-from-previous-series.html
I'm not sure to what extent these may affect Fedora applications,
but it seems like the easiest way to find out is to try them.

Any objections?  Anything people think should be tested before pushing?

			regards, tom lane