Re: Fedora 15, new and exciting plans (biosdevname)

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:06:17PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 09:32:37AM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> >> I've had a few off-list conversations with various community members
> >> about this. One thing that came up was that the alternative namespace is
> >> necessary, but also that "lom" is a sub-optimal choice. One idea that
> >> did come up was simply to call them "net" (net0, etc.) or perhaps "net"
> >> followed by another letter like "netm" or something. To avoid
> >> bikeshedding this to death though, I think Matt's "lom" naming is fine
> >> for the moment unless we happen to all agree on something else.
> >
> > There's an upstream conversation about the naming convention here:
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug&m=129003163201746&w=2
> >
> > For the record, right now, biosdevname uses:
> >
> > ?emN_(vf).(vlan) for embedded devices
> > ?pci(slot)#(port)_(vf).(vlan) for add-in cards.
> >
> > If the device does not support SR-IOV, then the _(vf) part is omitted.
> >
> > If no huge objections on the upstream thread, I'll push this into
> > rawhide ASAP.
>
> Presumably there will be something in place that won't change this on
> upgrades so that people don't end up in inoperable networking on the
> next 'yum upgrade' after it gets installed.

yes, if /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is in place, that is
used in preference to whatever biosdevname would choose.  If a rule
for your device isn't in that file though, biosdevname kicks in to ask
udev to rename it.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist