Re: Ubuntu moving towards Wayland

On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 11:51:37AM +0000, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> > Is Fedora for developers or what?
>
> If it is exclusively for developers with the exclusion of general
> purpose features such as web browsing, photo management, and
> multimedia consumption then I'll have to find a more general purpose
> OS. I count myself as a developer but concede that I have a life too
> and a general purpose computer has to fit into that as a whole.

I believe it is possible to do photo management, web browsing and
watching video, even on the current version of Fedora.

> > We want to ditch extremely useful, ground-breaking features because of
> > "tearing" when scrolling in a browser window? [I do *not* see any of
> > those issues incidentally -- maybe you want to check your set-up and
> > make sure you're not using non-free drivers]
>
> Historically there have been plenty of problems like the Firefox
> smooth scrolling under compiz bugs (at the time I understood the bugs
> to be caused by the difficulties of providing compiz features within
> the framework of X, I could be wrong). I last noticed tearing in
> fullscreen video on radeon HW... on other hardware I use the nvidia
> driver as it's generally better performing than the free one, really
> there is no argument here regarding free drivers as a platform for a
> multimedia desktop. As much as I love Nouveau's freeness, last time I
> checked I couldn't even run gnome shell on it.

So in fact you are running non-free drivers.  I have none of these
problems with the free (Intel) drivers, and the performance is great,
certainly more than adequate for web browsing, watching DVDs and
video, and a little gaming.

> Maybe I'm biased because I overwhelmingly tend to use a command line
> for remote machines. What is the use case for remote X applications?
> The only thing I can think of that I've personally used this way is
> gparted, and I probably could have used fdisk without much effort.

With virtualization I have more Linux machines than ever (about 50 in
active use at last count).  All on my local 1GB network.  Consequently
I use X to them and to other physical machines _all the time_.

Rich.