Re: Linux and application installing

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Alex Hudson <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I know fonts come in RPMs, but tbh as a user I could really care less.
I'm not disagreeing. But since fonts have come up in the context of
app-install.. I'd like to hear what the main PackageKit developer
thinks about fonts as _packages_.

I understand the automatic hooks to look for things like codecs and
fonts on a media consumption basis as a use case.  Open up a media
file (whether it be a document or video or whatever) and the
font/codec/whatever isn't embedded and the system fires off a request
for PK to look for the specific piece of media software as encoded in
the the package management subsystem to fill the consumption need on
demand. I totally get the background query facility in the strict
media consumption case.  And I can sort of see how media codecs can be
background queried and installed at time of media production if a user
wants to render into a a/v format not currently supported by the
installed software.

But what I don't understand is how _users_ are meant to interact with
PK to find fonts as non-executable pieces of software when doing media
_production_. When my dad is working a document or presentation or
doing desktop publishing tasks like a newsletter or bulletin using
only desktop _applications_ as PK understands the term... what's the
UI workflow to find fonts as packaged in the system's packaging
repository as part of a document production process?

Are we going to need a font-install parallel to app-install and
additional dedicated UI that mimics the UI for apps?

-jef