Re: is it still possible to use upstart as the init-system in F-14?

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM, M A Young <m.a.young@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> On 08/25/2010 05:35 PM, M A Young wrote:
>>> Yes, upstart still works. I tried systemd and couldn't get it to work, so
>>> I switched the machine back to upstart. You may need a rescue disk to make
>>> the switch if your computer doesn't boot with systemd. I might try systemd
>>> again when more of the bugs have been ironed out.
>> Do you have any unreported bugs?
>
> I tried it again, and basically the boot doesn't ever finish, it just sits
> there without any useful indication as to what the problem is until I get
> fed up and use the sysrq keys to reboot it ctrl-alt-del doesn't work).
>
>        Michael Young
> --

This sounds like a previously discussed issue with "upgrading a system
to systemd".

Referring to Lennart's HEADS UP:

     Heya,

     just a little heads up for when you upgrade a rawhide system that is a
     few weeks old to current rawhide: since we changed the way how some of
     the default symlinks of systemd are created you will end up with an
     installation that lacks many of the necessary symlinks -- but only if
     you upgrade from a systemd version from older rawhide to current
     rawhide. It's really only a problem in this case. It is not a problem
     with fresh F14 installations, and it is not a problem with upgrades from
     F13. The fix is easy: after upgrading just run this command as root and
     the missing links should be created:

        # systemctl enable getty@.service prefdm.service getty.target
rc-local.service remote-fs.target

     And that should make things work again.