Re: systemd: targets which are runlevel-like

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:57:38PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Actually it only shows you the active targets, those which a pending
> job, and those which have failed before (i.e. the "interesting"
> ones). If you pass --all it will show you inactive targets without
> pending jobs which haven't failed, too -- but only if they are
> referenced in some way or recently been used. And "ls
> /lib/systemd/system/" will show you everything else.

Wait, so "--all" doesn't actually show me all targets, it shows me an
apparently-arbitrary list of some of the possible targets?

> Well, there are certainly some targets which you shouldn't try to start
> via "isolate" (and some not even with "start"). To handle cases like
> this we have added the option RefuseManualStart=. It is (for example)
> set for shutdown.target (which if started alone would result in all
> services to go away, but no actual "halt" being called in the end so
> that you'd have a system with PID1 but nothing else, not even a
> sheel). If set, then running "systemctl start" (and systemctl isolate,
> too) will fail with an error, and in systemadm the button to start it
> will be greyed out.

So, most targets are actually valid for 'isolate'? What if I go to
bluetooth.target?

> Using "isolate" on getty.target should work fine, though. If it doesn't,
> file a bug.

What will it do? What will be running? How can I know? Do I really have to
generate the dot graph and look at that?

Here's how I tell what will happen under sysvinit or upstart:

/sbin/chkconfig | grep 3:on

and I get a nice, no-nonsense list. Can I get that with systemd?

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx>