Re: The slip down memory lane

On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 13:50 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> Any of the QA guys have any way to measure the the most common cause of
> our slips?  Is it usually stuff we're our own upstream for?  Is it
> integration?  Is it bugs that were introduced months ago but only recently
> found or bugs that were just introduces in the couple of weeks before
> release?

Not a super convenient way, but you can do it by going back and looking
at previous blocker meetings and go/no-go meetings. I've done this once
when there was some debate about how early the blocker issues were
identified.

Most blocker bugs are in anaconda. This is simply because it's the
component most *likely* to have blocker bugs, because of the function it
performs.

We usually catch most initial blockers for any given release at the
first TC stage. Bugs we slip for are usually ones identified at that
stage that we couldn't fix in time, bugs introduced between TC and RC by
non-critical changes to critical components (this is something that
could bear to be tightened down), and bugs introduced or exposed by
other blocker fixes. A common case is, say, we identify a bug in TC#1
that completely breaks FTP install; then the anaconda team fixes that
for RC#1, but we discover that the same FTP install path is broken at a
later point. We couldn't have found that at TC#1 time, because it's
hidden by the earlier breakage.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey