Re: git branch help?

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> I think this may be the main issue here - there is no meaning of "newer"
> in git.

There is a partial order given by ancestry, and 2 revisions you want to
compare WILL in general be ordered. (In fact, whenever it makes sense to
numerically compare SVN revision IDs, the commits will also be ordered in a
DVCS. Comparing revision IDs from different branches or even different
repositories does not make sense in SVN either, but that's not what people
are interested in anyway.)

> Don't rely on it an you'll be fine. What matters is whether a change is in
> a repository or not. Which one is newer hardly ever matters.

Nonsense. If, say, Fedora ships foo-12345678 and Ubuntu ships foo-abcdef00,
you'll want to know whether 12345678 or abcdef00 is the newer snapshot from
the master of foo. (And if they're both snapshots from master, they WILL be
ordered unless upstream rewrote their published history, which is just plain
evil.) Or, another use case, if we have foo-3.14-0.17.12345678git.fc12 and
foo-3.14-0.18.abcdef00git.fc13, how do you verify that the upgrade path is
correct and does not in fact downgrade foo when upgrading to F13? The
sequence number before (17 vs. 18) might have been incremented due to one or
more plain rebuild(s), it doesn't necessarily reflect the sequence of
upstream snapshots being packaged.

        Kevin Kofler