Re: nonresponsive maintainer policy

2010/8/2 James Findley <sixy@xxxxxxx>:
> On 07/30/2010 10:31 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:28:11 +0200
> Remember that some packages get very little activity because they need
> very little.
> Increasing someone's AWOLness counter because they didn't for example,
> update ed is just plain silly.  If a package is no longer under heavy
> development, and is in a stage where releases happen very rarely if
> ever, and bugfixes are similarly rare, then what do you expect people to
> do?  Reformat the spec file every three months so as to avoid the AWOL
> counter?
>
> Unless there are open bugs against a package with no activity from a
> maintainer, or it's way behind upstream (in which case there should
> probably be a bug open), the fact that nothing has happened in koji for
> three months isn't a problem.
>
> Lots of packages in Fedora are not bleeding edge GUI apps needing
> constant TLC.  Please remember this when creating policies.

Obviously, if upstream don't have a new release and the package itself
doesn't have any security issue, then we don't need update it.

However, I think tracking upstream in rawhide is necessary even they
are command only packages. That's why gcc/glibc/coreutils in fedora
rawhide are the latest version. Also, some packages which under active
development are not updated for several years not just several months.

Regards,
Chen Lei