Re: [HEADS-UP] systemd is now the default init system in rawhide

2010/7/26 Bryn M. Reeves <bmr@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> On 07/24/2010 09:39 PM, Matt McCutchen wrote:
>>>
>>> Still belongs in /sbin, unless it's meant to actually be executed directly
>>> by end-users.
>>
>> No.  If that were the criterion, update-mime-database would belong
>> in /sbin .
>>

> The FHS puts it like this:
>
> (a) "/bin contains commands that may be used by both the system
> administrator and by users, but which are required when no other
> filesystems are mounted (e.g. in single user mode). It may also contain
> commands which are used indirectly by scripts."
>
> (b) "/sbin contains binaries essential for booting, restoring,
> recovering, and/or repairing the system in addition to the binaries in
> /bin."
>
> So if the intent is that systemd will eventually be invoked (indirectly
> by some script/daemon) by users this seems justified by (a). On the
> other hand the page has this to say on "init":
>
> "The following files, or symbolic links to files, must be in /sbin if
> the corresponding subsystem is installed: ...
> init"
>
> It's arguable though whether this refers to SysV's init or is intended
> to be more general.
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#BINESSENTIALUSERCOMMANDBINARIES
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SBINSYSTEMBINARIES

well an init system replacement probably has to do with booting the
system hence it makes sense from my pov to move the binary to /sbin.

it especially makes sense if one unbreaks the user PATH by removing
/sbin from it since there is less irrelevant stuff in the PATH
environment then for autocompletion.

kind regard,
Rudolf Kastl

p.s. i am going to open a bug