Re: [HEADS-UP] The systemd unit files I'll post

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:51, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 15.07.10 11:01, Stephen John Smoogen (smooge@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> > I am aware that doing things during package installation instead of
>> > first-boot is problematic for system images that are distributed and
>> > booted from multiple machines. Maybe for those cases (where r/o root
>> > isn't doable) we should provide some easy infrastructure to generate all
>> > keys on boot, controlled by some central switch.
>>
>> I think this was looked at way in the past.. the issue was that there
>> wasn't enough entropy to build all of them during install or first
>> boot. This caused things to lock up as it was using /dev/random as
>> /dev/urandom was not considered good enough for this.
>
> Hmm, are you saying there is neither enough entropy at install nor on
> first boot? When do you want to create the certs then?

I am saying there wasn't. I do not know about now... install
environments are funky so I would not assume that the entropy there is
'good-enough' for cert creation. I do not know if there is enough at
First boot these days or if urandom is good enough now. Those would be
something from the security team would be better at.

> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.
> --