Re: [HEADS-UP] The systemd unit files I'll post

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 15:32 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> The right approach here is to enumerate existing devices when CUPS
> starts up. All programs that care about devices should do that:

But CUPS has no interest in what devices are currently attached.  It
only cares what queues are configured.  It doesn't automatically create
queues for connected devices.

The automatically created queues are configured by
system-config-printer.  This is done using udev rules.  Those udev rules
cannot perform their job is cupsd is not running at the moment the
printer is connected/disconnected.  That's why we have to replay them
when cupsd *is* started.

If there is a more correct way of doing it that fits within the CUPS
framework, I would love to use that.

There is no daemon running that monitors which printers are connected.
It is all done entirely with udev rules.

Tim.
*/