Re: [HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

On Wed, 14.07.10 16:34, Bill Nottingham (notting@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering (mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> > > The issue is that this is a behavior change (from both sysvinit and upstart)
> > > that will need code to be handled properly in other packages. Anaconda,
> > > at least, will need to be patched to set the default bootup target
> > > differently depending on which init system it's installing, which
> > > is kind of ugly.
> >
> > Hmm, can you please elaborate on what you think anaconda should be
> > writing into that file?
>
> ananconda is what sets the default runlevel post install. It does this
> by editing inittab. This change would mean that anaconda would conditionally
> need to do something else, depending on what it happens to be
> installing.

Or it could just do both changes. That should be easy enough.

Hmm, I wasn't aware that Anaconda even asks a question about the
runlevel. Given that I am too lazy to try this out now, what exactly is
this question? i.e. does it ask "Are you installing a server or a
deskop?" or what does it ask?

> > sysvinit allows you to have exactly 4 general purpose runlevels, which
> > have the superbly descriptive names "2", "3", "4", and "5". And that's
> > where the story ends. In systemd the model is much simpler, more obvious
> > yet more powerful: target units can be labeled freely and you can have
> > as many as you want.
>
> It allows 7, 8, 9, as well. (Wheee, undocumented features.)
>
> > You really cannot see why runlevels are old cruft and completely
> > arbitrary in their design and naming, and really need replacing?
>
> Oh, they are. But they're also 30+ years of historical precedent that
> people are used to and code is expecting. Even OSX has them in some
> manner.

And that's why we support them to a large degree, via compatiblity
targets "runlevel3.target" and similar. What we don't support is setting
their default choice with /etc/inittab. That's all.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.