Re: recoll review request help : using modified versions of libraries for build

> On 07/13/2010 04:53 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > The packages that they've used have significantly been changed to fit
> > the needs of recoll, so I'm not sure sending patches to upstream makes
> > sense.
> >

> Have they tried doing that yet?
>
> Rahul

hey Rahul,

Up stream has commented on the review report clarifying the usage of
other libs:

> Recoll just includes the rfc 822 + mime analysis part. The code is both compact
> and proven robust (imap _server_). The daemon, network, and protocol parts are
> not in there. A few years ago no email lib that I looked at would fit the bill
> (either big and full of deps or unreliable/unproven). There has been a few
> modifications/fixes to the original code to fit Recoll needs, but less than in
> the unac part.
>
> Parts of unac are significantly modified for Recoll use. The comment is
> misleading, this is not just a "stripped down version of unac". I fixed the
> README (for the next version). Recoll could not use the standard package.
>
> You can find the new README.recoll file at the following link. I hope this
> clarifies things:  http://bitbucket.org/medoc/recoll/src/tip/unac/

> There is also a partial and modified copy of binc imap. As
> far as I know this is not packaged on Fedora and not available as a
> library, so including the code is the only way to reuse it.

It seems he has lifted code from some of these and used it rather than
using them as libs?

Do I ask them to send these to upstream? These modifications are
specific for the recoll package only it seems.

regards,
Ankur