Re: merge reviews

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, here we are today with 242 still open merge reviews:
> http://fedoraproject.org/PackageReviewStatus/MERGE.html
> (Plus a few that were closed when they shouldn't have been).
>
> So, what do we do?
>
> Some possible options:
>
> a) Just close them all, any bugs in spec files in those packages can be
> filed as bugs against them.

</RH employee hat off>
<Fedora contributor hat on>

After a large survey, it is readily apparent that many of these 242
have been untouched for -years-, for packages that have been merged
into Fedora and used happily for -years-.

Further hundreds of other reviews outside your 242 are listed as
assigned to a reviewer, but making no progress after multiple years.

These merges are crowding out new packages
that need merging, on bugzilla's list of "packages that need a review."

As such, getting any package into Fedora requires navigating an
informal, ever-changing process, where the chief attributes for
success involve (a) knowing a Red Hat employee or (b) public,
sometimes repeated begging on fedora devel.

The results are highly uneven, and not necessarily directly related to
the technical attributes of benefit to the Fedora Project.

Closing a 3-year-old merge review of the "kernel" package is
reasonable bug triage.  It's not like the kernel package will get
un-merged.

The proper course of action for already-merged packages is to file
bugs against those packages.  We have an entire -team- of people
looking at kernel bugs, while this silly "merge review: kernel" sits,
ignored, for several years.

The current package review system is failing miserably at separating
wheat from chaff, is very chaotic, and non-deterministic.  "Merge
review: kernel" is pure noise.

     Jeff