Re: A friendly reminder from translators

Miloslav Trmac wrote:
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:04:17AM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:

Normally the process is that the translator does

	msgmerge old.po application.pot > new.po

edits new.po if needed and then commits that back as the updates.

The traditional process for RHL is AFAIK that the developers do the msgmerge and commit po files back to CVS.

I'm in favour of this approach. PO file updating process should be as automated as possible. It will help to make sure all po files are consistent and most up to date. It will also encourage translation participation. Manual merge should only be used in case of file conflicts.

Changing this to the GNOME-like "developers don't care as long as
translators have commit access and don't break anything" style
is something I'd like to propose later, if I find the time to work on it.

I don't really agree with "developer don't care" attitude. I believe developers should have internationalization process in their mindset. After all, the world we are living in is getting increasingly globalized - can we afford not to think outside of the square we live in?

The automation process wouldn't be so difficult to implement either. All we need is a script that is automatically triggered whenever a new pot file is committed. The script then do a cvs up and msgmerge to all existing po files in the directory.

Regards,

Sarah