Re: CVS admin requests

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:32:20 -0600, Kevin wrote:

> > The page "Package Change Requests for existing packages" is unclear:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CVSAdminProcedure#Package_Change_Requests_for_existing_packages
> >
> > Please expand on what "explanatory text" you want in addition to the
> > "Package Change Request" template. If there is a branch request,
> > e.g.  for a released dist version, is it necessary to transcribe the
> > filled out template into a full sentence?
>
> Well, I'm not sure how to rephrase that... Basically we want to know
> if there are any non standard conditions to look at, ie:
>
> - You are not the owner and want to maintain in epel. Did you contact
>   the fedora owner and wait and/or hear back that they didn't want to
>   maintain it?

How would I know that this would be relevant? And why is it relevant?
Can the Fedora package owner block another packager's request to become
the maintainer in EPEL? I don't think so.

> - Is the package a dead package you are bringing back?
>
> etc.
>
> You don't need to add additional text for normal vanilla regular
> requests.

Now that you've given two examples, can't you simply sum up the special
situations in which you demand additional details? How many are there?

 - resurrecting an orphan or retired package
 - bringing a package to EPEL
 - ...
 - (?) transferring ownership

You know your requirements, so tell people what input you need.

> It just saves cvsadmins the time to ask you what you want.

What is the template for then? It specifies exactly what a person
wants. If you are interested in some background (a full story of
what had happened prior to somebody filling out the template), you
could enumerate the special cirumstances when you need those extra
details.