Re: chrony as default NTP client?

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 02:10:20PM +0200, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > The problem with the NTP project is that the development is closed.
> > Even the most trivial bugs take a lot of effort to fix. It's possible
> > to pay them to be a NTP forum member and increase the chances of them
> > accepting the patches, but that's not what I'd call an open
> > development.
> >
> > Also, we are carrying an intrusive (and not very easy to port) patch
> > that was rejected -- the power saving patch. I have to admit I was
> > hoping I could drop it one day if chrony was the default client.
>
> There was a "super accurate timing" thread a few days ago.
> Certainly much newer than the alternatives, so I suppose it
> is also more "immature". Still interesting, though.

The RADclock client seems to be designed for LAN environments, at
least the current version. It misses multiple source support and
falseticker detection which is important in our default config, as
the quality of pool.ntp.org servers varies a lot.

However, many of the ideas they use are used in chrony too. I'd not be
surprised if chrony configured for LAN performed similarly well as
RADclock (in terms of absolute clock).

--
Miroslav Lichvar