Re: No more kernel-source(code) ??? (was: rawhide report: 20040623 changes)

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

. I think having a kernel-devel subpackage makes a lot of sense, especially if the goal is to treat the kernel package similarly to other packages. I dont need to compile modules on most of the computers I admin, so I dont need the associated bits.

Sorry also for coming late to this thread, but I'd like to endorse kernel-devel as well. It could provide the /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build stuff as well as the /usr/src/linux stuff which is currently in kernel-source. Also it could make sure that /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build is a symlink to the appropriate place in /usr/src/linux which would make building legacy modules easier.

So, my proposal is:

Fold kernel-source into kernel-devel; make kernel-devel have Provides: kernel-source to make BuildRequires in older kernel src rpms easier to live with, and keep it as part of Fedora Core.

--
Aaron Bennett
UNIX Administrator