Re: Proposed udpates policy change

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 21:59 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> This is the policy that I expect to be discussed during the Fesco
> meeting tomorrow. This is entirely orthogonal to the ongoing discussions
> regarding whether updates in stable releases should be expected to
> provide features or purely bugfixes, and I don't see any conflict in
> introducing it before those discussions have concluded.
>
> Introduction
> ------------
>
> We assume the following axioms:
>
> 1) Updates to stable that result in any reduction of functionality to
> the user are unacceptable.
>
> 2) It is impossible to ensure that functionality will not be reduced
> without sufficient testing.
>
> 3) Sufficient testing of software inherently requires manual
> intervention by more than one individual.
>
> Proposal
> --------
>
> The ability for maintainers to flag an update directly into the updates
> repository will be disabled. Before being added to updates, the package
> must receive a net karma of +3 in Bodhi.

I am strongly against this proposal if it is enforced on all the
packages as a whole. It might be acceptable for critical path packages
however low profile packages which are not installed on most of the
systems (and we have huge number of such packages now in Fedora) will
not get the testing no matter what magic you will cast on the users to
attract them to testing.

A reasonable compromise might be to allow the manual push to stable
after a week or so of the package living in the testing repository.

Somehow speeding up the process of getting the package to the hands of
users once it is entered into bodhi would be also appreciable.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb