Re: how to make things better(tm)

On 03/05/2010 06:07 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 05:10:41PM +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
>
>> I suspect that the Fedora policy, as stated, makes the most sense for
>> most people who use Fedora.  There is no rule against pushing new
>> package releases to updates, but they're not pushed unless there's a
>> good reason.
>>
> Agreed here as well.  Proper emphasis on "reason" -- there should be
> a reason other than upstream has a new release but there's a lot of
> leeway for the maintainer to decide if the reason::risk ratio is
> okay.

OK, so we are on the same page.

>> Fedora is a really good full-featured Linux distro with
>> an aggressive release cycle, even without a continuous
>> drinking-from-a-firehose updates policy.
>
> This is where I'm a bit confused.... AFAICS, no one has pushed for
> a drink-from-the-firehose policy.

Really?  Rajeesh K Nambiar wrote about the "latest-and-greatest,
bleeding edge policy of Fedora."  Thomas Janseen was arging against
Rahul Sundaram's perfectly reasonable reminder of the current package
update guidelines.

>>> So i (and others who think like me), have no reason to use Fedora
>>> over one of the other mainstream Distros if Fedora is the same. And
>>> we will not get users like me if we dont offer that. Sure, there
>>> might be people who dont give a darn about people like me.
>>
>> Well, that's a rather specialized taste.

> And since I was lost at the previous step, I wonder here what you
> think Thomas wants that's rather specialized.  If you think it's
> "drink from the firehose" and that == rawhide, I agree that that's
> specialized.  If it's semi-rolling updates, then I think that's not
> so specialized at all.

Perhaps not, but disagreeing with such an eminently sensible message as
Rahul's makes me wonder.

Andrew.