Re: Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

On 02/02/2010 09:07 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

>>> * A user who downloads any one of these products gets a different experience
>>>    than someone who downloads one of the others.
>>> * Switching from one product to another is not an easy task of merely
>>>    installing one package group and removing another.  You have to know what
>>>    packages to install and what packages to uninstall and sometimes you also
>>>    need to know what configuration switches to hit.
>>
>> spins don't help this situation.
>>
> They do.  I tried to switch from the Desktop spin to the KDE spin in F10 and
> ended up without a usable desktop environment.  Reinstalled from the KDE
> spin and it worked.  So "how do you get KDE on your computer?"  "Install
> the Fedora KDE spin."  Easy answer.

Spins make sense when there is a deep-reaching feature that touches a
majority of packages on the system. Examples include:

- the desktop environment with all the supporting runtime libs

- I would say 32 and 64-bit environments are two 'spins'

- a hypothetical major version of glibc-based 'spin'

I don't understand why 'Electronic Design Lab' is a separate spin: if I
install all the EDA-related packages that it contains, would I not get
an equivalent capability?

The only reason I can think of is the media capacity limitation, which
forces dropping some packages to make space for someone's desired set
which is not already part of the mainstream collection.