Re: Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Then no one is actually using our products.  People don't use spins after
> > they install them.  After install they're all pointed at the same thing.
> > I'm a KDE user but I'm not using a KDE spin right now.
>
> Then you're missing out on some of the integration work we do. That said,
> I'm fairly confident *you* know what stuff to install and what to remove to
> get a decent KDE after a DVD install / netinstall / "some other spin"
> install, but the average user will end up with a suboptimal KDE if they
> install from anything other than the KDE spin.

And the reason you install from a spin, as history will show, was a
technical limitation in the live CD that doesn't allow package selection.
We never designed it that way.  It just happened.  There was a time where,
when you wanted KDE, you clicked the checkbox next to KDE at install time.
With our default and spin media we've actually _LOST_ functionality that
AFAIK is still not back after years of work.  If it is please correct me.

	-Mike