Re: How about firefox 3.6 in Fedora 12 ?

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Wes Shull wrote:

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
      Wes Shull wrote:
      > yum --enablerepo=rawhide update firefox

NEVER do that!!!

If you'd taken half a minute to check, you would have seen that it sucks in
a grand total of sqlite and xulrunner.  Yeehaw.

At the moment it does for you, though more updates may be required depending on what you have installed, but you also have to think longer term, because the latest Fedora release and rawhide will tend to move apart as time goes on, so when the first Fedora 3.6 security update comes along you may find yourself having to download most of rawhide to update it.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that you should never install rawhide packages on a Fedora system, but you have to be prepared to cope with the difficulties that might result as time goes on, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the skill to cope with such difficulties.

Personally I have a couple of Fedora 12 installs that I put the rawhide Firefox 3.6 on, but those are installs that I will probably switch to rawhide at some point anyway.

	Michael Young