Re: Beware: Thunderbird (ver 3.0.1) CORRUPTS all email state

Jesse Keating writes:

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 17:58 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Steve Dickson writes:

> I guess I have a different definition of crap... ;-)
> > I have been on both sides of these bugs... So I know (the hard way) > when you push something out that breaks existing configurations, its crap! If you need to run stable software, Fedora is not the right distro for you. You should consider switching to RHEL/CentOS, in that case.

Yet we should be striving to maintain stability within our stable
releases.  In fact, when we fail to deliver stable updates that's a
reason to investigate to see what went wrong.

Agree, still, when something breaks it's not a reason to get emotional. Stuff occasionally breaks. There's no need for an editorial, though, when that happens. Put all the relevant details into Bugzilla, and post a capsule summary in users@.

Just yesterday, the recent pulseaudio update layed an egg on me. A combination of Firefox, and a specific .wav file, causes the new pulseaudio daemon to either lock up, or peg the CPU at 100%, and freezing Firefox. So, I was in the same boat as the OP. I had to downgrade pulseaudio.

But instead of publishing an editorial, I found another user beating me to the punch in Bugzilla, but a bit off the mark in the analysis of the breakage. After amending the bug with the real facts of life, 24 hours after posting a comment in users@, a couple of more folks joined the party, confirming the regression, so I'm sure it'll get taken care of, sometime soon.