Re: RFC: gtk v4l2 (webcam) control panel app + applet

Hi,

On 01/12/2010 01:13 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Good idea, apart from:
>
> On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 12:39 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>
>> For Fedora-14 (to be released November 2010) it would be nice to have
>> gtk application for controlling various camera settings (brightness,
>> contrast, etc.) *and* a small applet which shows a webcam icon
>> next to the clock when a webcam is present.
>
> Having an applet showing up for each and every type of device that's
> plugged into your computer is a bad idea.

I agree, but I have a number of reasons for thinking this way (note this
is not me saying but I'm going to go this way anyways, this is me asking
for better ways to achieve the below aims):

1. Many people don't know which app to use to test their webcam, one of
the things I would also like to add to the icon is "launch webcam viewer"
(this is a bit of a lame reason, if this were the only one, the icon could
  die right away).

2. One some laptops the webcam can be turned on / off with Fn + F##, and
there is no indicator whether it is on or off, the icon would serve as
such an indicator.

3. Some really cheap still cameras, so called dual mode cams, can also
functions as a webcam, but only when the gvfs gphoto2 share in nautilus
is not mounted, this icon is supposed to tell people that:
1) A webcam was detected (even if the kernel driver at that moment was detached
by gvfsd-gphoto2)
and:
2) Give them easy access to unmounting the gphoto2 share, making the camera
available to other apps.

So making the list myself I guess that for 2. we could make the icon optional,
defaulting to off (to be configurable from the capplet) and for 3. we could
opt to only show the icon be default for these types of cameras.

Note 3 is a hard problem, because of the mix of userspace and kernelspace
drivers for the 2 functions and them both using the same usb interface
on the device (these devices usually only have one interface).

> Having a well-made capplet (a dialogue for the control-center) would be
> a better fit. It should obviously handle hotplugging.

Ack, that is a good idea.

Regards,

Hans