Re: Change to DSO-linking semantics of the compiler

> > That's correct.  In other words, the libfoo.so DSO will only be used at
> > runtime if the presence of -lfoo at link time actually had any effect on
> > what symbols got resolved to what.  But --as-needed is not really apropos
> > in this thread.
>
> OK, if RPM picks only the libraries that are actually used in
> auto-requires, then there's no connection. Otherwise the situation would
> be a whole lot different, since the requires might have some bloat.

I don't really follow what you mean here.  The ld behavior determines what
libraries are actually required at runtime by a linked executable (or other
library), i.e. the set of DT_NEEDED entries it gets.

The rpmbuild auto-requires looks at DT_NEEDED.  Regardless of the choices
made at link time, rpmbuild correctly determines which libraries will be
required at runtime.

Anyway, if you are interested one way or another in --as-needed,
let's start a separate thread about that and you can say why you
want to discuss that subject.  It is entirely separate from this
F13 feature discussion.

Thanks,
Roland