Re: RFE: Never, ever steal focus.

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 13:27 -0500, Fulko Hew wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         There is no case where _you_ want this, sure.
>
> I'd say... only take focus if its a child/creation of the window
> currently in focus.

"creation of" is not something that's particularly well defined in X.
Child windows are clipped to (wholly contained within) their parent, so
in the evolution example from earlier, the compose window is a child of
the root window, not of the mailbox view window.  So at window creation
time, there's no obvious relationship between the compose and mailbox
windows.

They do happen to have the same WM_CLASS and WM_CLIENT_LEADER window
properties.  But that still only addresses automatic focus changes
within a single application.  Automatic focus changes across apps is
probably desirable; otherwise, nothing you launch from the gnome panel
will launch focused, which is rather absurd.

- ajax