Re: Datacenter, git, and cvs

On 12/14/2009 05:31 PM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:
If done right, the move to git can still service CVS requests in
some capacity...  that may make the transition a little less abrupt
and painful.

Perhaps.  But git-cvsserver is a rather limited crutch that I can't
imagine anyone wanting to spend much time on, just to let folks
continue to use cvs commands directly.

Who knows though, maybe there are more people that actually like cvs
than I think and they'll volunteer to implement and run such a
service.

I think of it less as a question of /liking/ CVS, and more an admission that a global workflow change has real costs for each individual developer.

A "flag day"-style transition is clean and efficient, but often locks out developers who are not able to march in lock-step with the transition schedule.

I am very pro-git (naturally, being a kernel developer) and want this switch, but it nonetheless means my home-written scripts for maintaining related project packages (cld, chunkd, tabled) must be updated and tested. Even without local script updates, developers have to learn new stuff just to keep functioning at the same level as before.

	Jeff