RPM Database issue

Hi All,

While working with package management, installing/uninstalling various RPMs,

I came up with a question regarding the RPM Database where package-related information

is being stored.

The default location of the system’s RPM_DB is at /var/lib/rpm. I can then create a second (private)

RPM_DB (e.g. /var/lib/my_rpm) with the ‘rpm --dbpath /var/lib/my_rpm --initdb’ command.

After that, using the ‘--dbpath’ option I can select at which RPM_DB an RPM is going to be

installed. The problem is when I try to install an RPM in the private RPM_DB which has dependencies

on other packages which exist in the system’s default RPM_DB.

Is there any way for the second RPM_DB to somehow extend the default DB while installing a package ?

This means that when installing an RPM in the private RPM_DB it should first check for dependencies in BOTH

RPM databases.

Also is there any way for “synchronizing” two or more RPM Databases ?

Thanks for your time in advance

With best regards,

Ioannis Ganotis