Re: linux registry (no, not that again!)

Yes,
Flat text files can be munged pretty bad but the point is that they can only munge themselves. In a registry there is the possibility of editing fsck$#!ing all of the entries (yeah, backups... I know).
Still not a good idea :-)

Cheers,
Harry

Dan Williams wrote:

Not that I'm advocating it (I'm don't care one way or the other), but
most Linux people dislike the windows registry for reasons this project
would fix:

- All key-value pairs are stored in clear-text files. (Windows uses
binary files(?))  (Next question, how about nested values...

- It is designed to be easy to administrate with regular command line
tools like cat, vi, cp, ls, ln. Its storage is 100% open. (this is also
a common argument against Windows Registry by anti-registry folk)

Anybody can abuse a flat text file config system too, just as much as
the Windows Registry becomes a horrible mess.

Dan