Re: Are the icons of rhn-applet free??

Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 08:21:30AM +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:

Jaap Haitsma wrote:

Hi,

I see in the license of rhn-applet that it is licensed under the GPL.
Does that mean that the icons are also under the GPL. I'd like to use them in another app.

Would somebody of redhat be so kind to answer my question?

  The rhn-applet is released under the GPL.
So you are free to reuse the icons it contains, i.e.
  applet-busy.png
  applet-critical-blank.png
  applet-okay.png
  applet-error.png
  applet-disconnect.png
in a GPL application at least.
However it would be good to avoid any confusion between the rhn_applet and
any other kind of similar application. What do you have in mind exactly ?

I proposed them to the maintainer (Daniel Burrows) of apt-watch, which is quite similar to the rhn-applet. I read in the changelog that he would like to change his current icons to more professional looking ones.

He replied and asked me if the icons are free. That's why I posted the question.

I can see the concern that there can be some confusion, but I also see an advantage for linux as whole that a similar looking applet does a similar thing. Now I come to think of it, it's maybe just like bluecurve trying to unite KDE and Gnome.

Jaap

Jaap