Re: Possible packages...

On 09/17/2009 10:22 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 09:52 +0200, Rudolf Kastl wrote:

PS3MediaServer. A Java program to talk to a PS3 with DLNA. I'm
guessing this one would have problems because it requires ffmpeg or
mplayer/mencoder... Plus as a java program its probably a bit more
complex to create a proper spec file for. I've made the other kind
often enough, but java ones not so much...

There's a sort of 'agreed-upon-right-way-of-doing-this' candidate for
this particular need, which is a nice modern GTK+ app and based on
gstreamer...but I can't quite pull the name out of long-term storage at
present. Someone will probably know what I mean, though. The one most
people use (as the one I'm talking about is still a bit alpha) is
mediatomb, which is also in Fedora already. Unless this provides
something significant the other options don't, it may not be the best
place to start, since it looks a bit complex.

ps3mediaservers biggest improvement/enhancement is the ability to
transcode video files on the fly.

Since I wrote the message quoted by Rudolf, I remembered the name of the
app I was trying to think of: Rygel - http://live.gnome.org/Rygel

aside from that, the 'market leader' is mediatomb, which I think we have
in Fedora or RPM Fusion already. It has been able to do transcoding for
a long time, and there's a big knowledge base out there on how to use
it. I'm not entirely sure adding another packaged
ps3-intended-UPNP-server would be a net win anywhere.

I had mediatomb installed, very much disliked it. It may have been my ability to configure it as well. However it wasn't as easy as ps3mediaserver. Granted I don't know if the ps3 one will work with all media players, I think it only encodes to what the ps3 can handle if I'm not mistaken.

(unless ps3mediaserver's implementation of on-the-fly transcoding lets
you fast-forward and rewind. that'd be good. mediatomb can't do that.)

It does.