Re: an update to automake-1.11?

Orcan Ogetbil writes:

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
[cut]
Patching the configure
script is much safer than patching configure.ac, then have autoconf grok all
.m4 macros and rebuild the whole thing, likely ending up with a completely
different beast, that not only includes your changes but who knows what
else.

What else? You and some other people are defending this from the
beginning of this thread but no one explained what else might change.
If I patch configure.ac and Makefile.am, then run autotools and build
the RPM package that way, what else might go in unnoticed?

Why are you asking me? I'm the one arguing against patching configure.ac and Makefile.am and rerunning autotools.

Please back up your claims. I do not have much knowledge to make
claims in either direction but I am willing to learn.

You can start by reading this thread, again.