Re: rpms/polkit-gnome/devel polkit-gnome.spec, NONE, 1.1 .cvsignore, 1.1, 1.2 sources, 1.1, 1.2

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Matthias Clasen wrote:

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 14:58 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:

# for /usr/share/gnome/autostart
Requires: gnome-session

Great! This adds
gnome-session: 1.8 MB
control-center: 7.1 MB
GConf2: 5,5 MB
gnome-keyring: 2,3 MB
gnome-vfs2: 3.1 MB

You added at least ~ 22,8 MB overhead just for directory ownership,
although I asked you to _not_ do this. I think users of alternative
desktops and the maintainers of their spins will not be amused. Last
week you told me, that a one advantage of the new polkit is that no
longer requires GConf2, but now it's dragged in again.

Your anger is misdirected. Complain to the rpm people for not handling
directories in a sane way. Or better still, send them a patch...

Define sane. The unowned directory issue was hashed at quite a length in January [1], every option was disliked by somebody.

Short summary of the options discussed:
a) Create file dependencies for every directory not explicitly owned by the package at build time. Easy to do and works with everything out there but causes *huge* metadata bloat.

b) Calculate directory dependencies at runtime. Easy to do but either causes transactions to abort due to missing dependencies whenever unowned directories are found, or would require changing all the depsolvers to know about and handle the implicit directory dependencies too.

c) Have rpm silently add ownership of unowned directories to the package that creates them. This could cause weird directory conflicts when some other package actually owns the directory / becomes the owner, and just feels wrong anyhow.

d) Variations of a-c where it'd just warn about the unowned directories.

I've been playing with using directories for additional ordering information (fairly easy to do), c) is basically a one-liner patch on top of that.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-January/msg02326.html

	- Panu -