Re: Maintainer Responsibilities

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
On Miércoles 03 Junio 2009 05:09:49 Ralf Corsepius escribió:
Kevin Kofler wrote:
Steve Grubb wrote:
I don't want to start a long thread, but just to ask a couple questions
for my own clarification. Does a maintainer's responsibilities end with
packaging bugs? IOW, if there is a problem in the package that is
_broken code_ do they need to do something about it or is it acceptable
for them to close the bug and say talk to upstream?
It's the reporter's job to report the bug upstream when asked to do so.
I disagree. Reporters are "users" - "customers" if you like to.

You can't expect them to do anything, nor demand them to do anything,
nor force them to do anything.

We are not forcing anyone to do anything but we think direct communication between user and developer is much more better

I consider maintainers redirecting arbitrary reporters to upstreams to be rude and hostile, because they are presuming the reporter to be
* interested in tracking down bugs
* interested in getting involved into upstreams
* technically able to do so.

This occasionally applies to developers - To normal users it usally doesn't apply, they want "to have their issue fixed".

Ralf