Re: Package Maintainers Flags policy

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Christopher Stone wrote:

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Christopher Stone wrote:

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

What if a non-authoritarian regime didn't want us to distribute a flag
that
was offensive to their democratically-empowered populace? Would that be
okay
then?

Please Seth, a non-authoritarian regime wouldn't be making demands on
what you can distribute, if they did, they would be authoritarian.
Your logic needs to be improved, and I am in disagreement with you on
this topic.

Making laws does not make a gov't authoritarian.

or rather if you believe that making laws makes a gov't authoritarian then
there is no point in continuing the conversation.

Germany bans nazi flags - that's a classic example of a non-authoritarian
gov't keeping us from distributing specific flags.

I would argue that it depends on the law.  I would also argue that
banning something like a flag means that you fear what that flag
represents.  The Chinese have to censor a lot of information because
they fear it.  The Communist party fears losing its power, that is why
they censor and ban certain information.

we don't care why they do it.

only that it hurts fedora there.

-sv