Re: Abandon "Default Desktop"

2009/4/28 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg@xxxxx>
Could you please elaborate how "The one package by default" concept was pushed forward by Ubuntu?

Yes.

When I first started using Feodra, there were many packages and alternatives installed.

Then ubuntu came along and since it was a one cd distribution, it went for "best of breed applications" - not sure if it accomplished that, but since then other distributions were "forced" to make decisions. Fedora including.

And that was a good thing, the first time I installed a non windows operating system, I did not need to fight over multiple different browsers, text editors, terminals etc. I did not even know what a desktop environment was!

Choice is only good if you are informed enough to exercise it.