Re: F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
2009/3/28 Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists@xxxxxxxxx>:
2009/3/28 Joonas Sarajärvi <muepsj@xxxxxxxxx>:
Of course, the world isn't perfect, and there probably is need for a
global shortcut to kill or restart X, among other things. However, it
would be nice if X eventually got rid of everything ctrl-alt-something
(Zap, vt switches, resolution changes, etc.) , so that the
combinations could be used for more useful purposes, and replaced them
with less intrusive ones, if any, as default.
That system is called XKB. You can remap keys to your heart's desire.

I know that I can configure and tweak my system to my heart's content,
but I rather get used to the default settings where it makes sense. It
eases life with multiple computers, as well as helping others to use
the same software.

I just think that the traditional X shortcuts are not a very good
solution to a problem, and a better one could be developed.
The traditional three-keystroke combination of Ctrl-Alt-Backspace has been working successfully for decades. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this keysequence. It is one of the most unlikely keysequences that a general X user is ever going to hit accidentally. It is only the tiny Emacs community with their very similar keystroke combinations that has ever had any problems with accidentally tripping this keystroke combination. And it's not fair to the general Xorg community that a historical well-understood and expected default should be disabled all in the interest of one tiny subcommunity.

I don't
know any perfect solutions, but in my opinion, it is good that some of
the most obtrusive shortcuts are already (possibly) getting a
non-default status.

While I haven't lost any important work due to X.org zapping, I fail
to see why a modern graphics system should have many keyboard
shortcuts itself in such prominent places.

I am also an Emacs user, though I haven't yet figured what control in
Emacs is close to ctrl-alt-backspace. Maybe it's the Finnish layout
that has something positioned more favourably...
Try Ctrl-Alt-End or Ctrl-Alt-\. Emacs users can easily mistakenly type Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when attempting these keystrokes especially on laptops. But again, that doesn't mean we need to change default behaviors. What it means is that the Emacs community needs to prepare special xorg.conf entries for their purpose of disabling Ctrl-Alt-Backspace for them and not pushing a huge change on the massive overall Xorg community.

Regards,
Gerry