Re: Where are Fedora core 10 sources for download

Hi Eric -- Thanks for the feedback.
I did install the kernel source rpm.  However, as you mentioned, it installed it under /root
in SOURCES and SPECS.  I noticed there were tons of patches.

My objective is to install the sources under /usr/src/kernel/linux-x.y.z... and build a new kernel for x.86 from the sources.  I'd like to be able to step through various parts of the kernel and look at the sources.

I have FC-10 on couple machines and am planning on setting up a development environment with KGDB.

I downloaded the 2.6.28.8... .bz2 from kernel.org and built it. However, just copying
bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz did not do the job.  I'll need to probably modify GRUB to
pick it up.

I have been laid off and have lots of time on my hand.  My intention is to contribute to the open source community.  Specially kernel development projects, whatever I can.

Best Regards,
Joe

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Joe Ovanesian wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> I am embarking on a development project involving kernel modules and
> user space apps.
> I currently have  FC-10 (Kernel 2.6.27.5-117), and am doing a "yum
> update" to most recent.
>
> Would like to download the corresponding sources to do some development.
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction please.

I see you've already found out how to gather src.rpms, but in my
experience rpms are more often the endpoint for development, not the
starting point.

Depending on what you're doing, you may want to look into just using
upstream repositories for the code you are hacking.

-Eric