Re: config.guess manufacturer string?

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

Panu Matilainen wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Stepan Kasal wrote:

Suse patches automake's config.guess to return <arch>-suse-linux,
Really?

This would be a serious bug in their automake, rendering tarballs having having been generated on SuSE largely worthless and rendering non-SuSE-OS generated tarballs largely worthless on Suse.

Check out automake-SuSE.patch from
http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/src-oss/suse/src/automake-1.10.1-44.225.src.rpm
Reading a bit more carefully, it's patched to return <arch>-suse-linux when executed on a SuSE system (or their build system), and pc/unknown for the manufacturer part otherwise.

and based on random sampling of src.rpm's, dont seem to be using %configure that much at all, most of what I checked just use ./configure.
I had been told (from suse employees), they had a policy to not use %configure for many years and label it "unsupported", because the machinery in rpm behind it was simply too broken.

Heh, right...

I don't know if this policy still applies.

Based on my random sampling, seems to apply still (at least mostly).

Then there's Debian, where the default configure invocation apparently defaults to --build=<arch>-linux.

So "abusing" the manufacturer part for distro vendor name seems to be not an entirely uncommon thing.
Yes, it's common amongst many rpm based distros.

The Debian thing you mention is equivalent to internally using <arch>-[pc|unknown]-linux

Yup.

	- Panu -