Re: Root Logins in X...

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

[out of order quote]

I'm more inclined to put a safety on the gun than to unload it entirely.
[/quote]

I agree 100%... however...

A few more ideas, off the top of my head:

A "Rescue Mode" in GDM which goes to a root session with minimal apps,
marked as "Rescue Mode", rather than a root X login (even though it does
need root credentials).

A prompt upon the first time a user tried to login to a normal X session
via GDM as root (separate from the "Rescue Mode"), warning them of the
risk they're taking, with a small checkbox that says something like
"never show me this warning again".

I disagree with this (as well as Warren's idea).
Why add additional software to the (already) horribly bloated default install?
A simple warning like you already mentioned would be great...
but, I say, the root login should use the user selected interface (gnome, kde, xfce, etc).

A safety is fine (the warning dialog)... but unnecessarily crippling the root gui
interface is a foolish move.

~spot

Lyos Gemini Norezel