Re: Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:16:36 -0500 (EST)
Seth Vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Or hibernate?
At least on my system hibernate takes as much time as a reboot.

btw this is a very fundamental property of hibernate. You need to do all
disk IO to get the system state to disk. And then at resume, you need
to do all disk IO to get the state from disk again. That's twice ;)

This is compounded by the property that a hibernate tends to flush at
least half the disk cache (it has to, to get space to work in), which
you then need to page right back in, so even when you're back, the first
minute or two sucks badly.

I suspect you will always be able to boot faster than you can
hibernate+resume.

Slightly off subject, did sreadahead ever get publicly released? Did I miss it?

--CJD