Re: Encrypted home directory

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:01:28 -0500, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a separate /boot partition outside the LVM, since that cannot be
encrypted.
Using hdparm to test sequential reads on the encrypted and unencrypted
partitions, I get 30 MB/Sec on the former and 36 MB/Sec on the latter.
So I am looking at a 15-20% hit on throughput and that has been pretty
consistent over several releases.

Could the performance difference here be due to the partitions being on different parts of the disk? Throughput is higher on the outside of the disk (which is the logical beginning of the disk.) I don't think you have done a fair benchmark.

--
James Cassell