Re: Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:

Can someone who likes (even tolerates) spatial mode describe why?  I'm
completely baffled as to why anyone would prefer windows left open all over
the place randomly instead of just explicitly opening ones yourself in
places where you want them.  For me, it is _always_ extra work to close the
unwanted windows compared to opening the ones I want.

I have used Nautilus in spatial mode as my main file manager for a
couple of years.

I like the spatial mode because:

The interface is very clean and simple. There are no toolbars or tabs,
just the actual files that I am interested in.

Something that could have been better provided by options to view or not each of the other sections of the window in browser mode.

The folders open where I left them the last time, also retaining their
settings.

Again, something that would be more useful as a separate option.

I can have a bigger window for directories with lots of
stuff or where I want to have a bigger zoom level to make better use
of the preview images, or a smaller window for others.

That's reasonable only for some tiny number of directories and only repeat the same operations. What about people who have a lot or nfs-mount many resources from other machines and seldom do the same thing in the same place?

Drag and drop is easy, but I don't think this is the best thing about
spatial mode. It's just an adde bonus.

Things I don't like in spatial mode:

Tendency to create create lots of windows.

The whole mess could have been avoided simply by keeping the standard mechanism to move to a new directory in the current window and adding the oddball method for the less likely circumstance when you want a new window. Why did all of the behavior changes have to bundled into one choice that includes backwards-incompatibility?

What I can do to avoid opening a hundred and one windows?

Use shift-click or middle click to close the parent folder's window.

Use the bookmark feature of Nautilus.

Set common 'root' directories, like your homedir and to list mode
(ctrl+2) and use the tree to navigate to your target without opening
new windows at all.

If you only repeat operations among a few directories you could just throw symlinks on your desktop and never navigate at all...

Somewhere it was mentioned that all the other major distros have the
browser mode as default. However, I think at least Debian has spatial
mode as the default mode for Nautilus.

Maybe - there are plenty of things in debian that Ubuntu has to fix to be usable.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx