Re: Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#All_patches_should_have_an_upstream_bug_link_or_comment

That's only relevant if the configuration change is actually a patch against
an upstream package. The KDE settings are in a kde-settings package for
which we are upstream ( https://fedorahosted.org/kde-settings/ ). :-) A
You are merely consolidating all your changes into a separate package (what has its advantages) but it is still deviations from upstream. The spirit of the guidelines is to avoid such changes or atleast document them and that is the case for kde-settings as well. I was around in FUDCon Boston when Aaron Seigo suggested that changed btw and even then talked to Rex Dieter that we should make a good faith effort to atleast notify upstream of the changes we are making. If a number of downstreams are making a change, they might be convinced to change the defaults. Sometimes, upstream projects have noted important side effects of such changes, which package maintainers were not aware of that (that opens a security risk, that particular option is unstable and hard to reproduce etc).
lso
note that it's only a SHOULD, not a MUST, and that "# change braindead
upstream default" is a perfectly valid comment under that guideline.
See above.
Rahul