Re: Making updates-testing more useful

Seth Vidal wrote:

I think the idea is good. I don't think it helps us to store more
information in PK, though.

Agreed.

If we're going to be storing where a package is installed from. It should
probably be in rpm.

We can't easily do that though, can we?  Given that the same binary RPMs
that are in updates-testing today will be in updates tomorrow without
changing...

which is, of course, the problem.

So what is the solution in terms of possibilities for yum? Personally, I'd like to see a sane way to manage repeatable updates at any level to at least give an end user a chance to test on a spare machine or VM exactly what will be propagated in an update to a more critical box. But even that might not be the right solution where an emergency fix needs to get pushed immediately.

There has to be some clever way to let the repos change at their own speed but give the end user control over what updates are installed on any particular machine by adjusting some sort of 'risk' factor.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx