Re: Workstation WG meeting, tomorrow 7 November (secretary: Michael)

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 5:17 AM Allan Day <aday@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The next meeting of the Fedora Workstation Working Group is planned for tomorrow, 7 November, at 10:00 AM EDT (14:00 UTC).
>
> Join link: https://meet.opensuse.org/FedoraWorkstationWG
>
> Allan
> --
> Agenda
>
> #topic f39 status
>
> #topic Evaluate our X11 session offering
> #link https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/395
>
> Summary of last week's discussion:
>
>  * Proprietary NVIDIA driver support
>    * Nouveau is needed for the out of the box experience, but is not viable as a complete replacement for the proprietary driver at the moment
>    * Nouveau isn't currently a viable way to support Cuda
>    * Work on explicit sync support is ongoing
>   * Concerns we've heard about X11 session removal:
>     * DRM leasing - there's some kind of obstacle around the portal API there?

DRM leasing has a Mutter MR:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/merge_requests/3331

>     * VRR - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/merge_requests/1154
>     * Screen tearing
>     * Remote desktop

This has a merge request:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-remote-desktop/-/merge_requests/139

>     * Color management

Unless either A) draft protocol support is merged or B) some kind of
baseline override stuff like what kwin has is merged, this isn't
getting solved for a while.

>    * Global key bindings - needed by Orca

I'm surprised this one isn't done yet. Orca is part of the GNOME
project and I expected this to be handled already, just like KDE
handles Orca as a special case.

>  * Recommendation from the graphics team is to keep the X11 session as a fallback in the short term. This needn't be automatic or exposed in the UI, but could be accessed through the CLI.

For Fedora KDE, I've marked the X11 packages as deprecated:
* kwin: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/kwin/c/a4b6148f115844d51e464d60cefc9588316c74fa
* plasma-workspace:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/plasma-workspace/c/78a0c3dcb149d570800cf6a6d9acc4d9ce077a1b

I would suggest mutter's and gdm's x11 stuff be separated into a
subpackage (if possible) and marked as deprecated. The
gnome-session-xsession package should be marked as deprecated too.

We should adjust our comps for F40 to drop this stuff from the ISO.

I've submitted a PR for KDE to do so:
https://pagure.io/fedora-comps/pull-request/907

>  * Other issues to consider:
>     * Gaps around proprietary apps

Xwayland should be good enough here. If it's not, then Xwayland or
GNOME's Xwayland support should be improved.

>     * Certification for OpenJDK in Wayland (project Wakefield - https://wiki.openjdk.org/display/wakefield/ )

Java 21 passes with Xwayland. The Jetbrains folks are working on
making a future Java version pass without Xwayland.

>     * Remote desktop

See statements about remote desktop above. It would probably help to
have a simple/sample implementation using the remote desktop portal
that other remote desktop/assistance/management applications can
use as a guideline for their own implementations.

>     * CI

Tell people to use either Weston or some kind of simple wlroots
compositor. I'm sure the wlroots folks have a good suggestion for a
compositor for doing CI of graphical applications.

> #topic NVIDIA driver and UEFI secure boot
> #link https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/155
>
> Summary of the previous discussion:
>
>  * NVIDIA proprietary driver can be installed through GNOME Software. However, if secure boot is enabled, you will get broken graphics and nouveau will be blacklisted. It will only work if secure boot is disabled.
>  * Possible actions:
>    * Improve the fallback situation
>    * Have Software detect if secure boot is off and have it adjust accordingly
>    * Find someone to look into automatic enrolement. First step would be to dig into the Ubuntu code. We'd also need to overcome opposition from the Fedora kernel maintainers.

If we had some kind of in-kernel-only keyring for kmod certificates,
then we can avoid a lot of firmware mess. If we expect to have to rely
on the proprietary driver forever, then this problem still needs to be
solved.