Workstation WG meeting, tomorrow 7 November (secretary: Michael)

Hi all,

The next meeting of the Fedora Workstation Working Group is planned for tomorrow, 7 November, at 10:00 AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Join link: https://meet.opensuse.org/FedoraWorkstationWG

Allan
--
Agenda

#topic f39 status

#topic Evaluate our X11 session offering

Summary of last week's discussion:

 * Proprietary NVIDIA driver support
   * Nouveau is needed for the out of the box experience, but is not viable as a complete replacement for the proprietary driver at the moment
   * Nouveau isn't currently a viable way to support Cuda
   * Work on explicit sync support is ongoing
  * Concerns we've heard about X11 session removal:
    * DRM leasing - there's some kind of obstacle around the portal API there?
    * Screen tearing
    * Remote desktop
    * Color management
   * Global key bindings - needed by Orca
 * Recommendation from the graphics team is to keep the X11 session as a fallback in the short term. This needn't be automatic or exposed in the UI, but could be accessed through the CLI.
 * Other issues to consider:
    * Gaps around proprietary apps
    * Certification for OpenJDK in Wayland (project Wakefield - https://wiki.openjdk.org/display/wakefield/ )
    * Remote desktop
    * CI

#topic NVIDIA driver and UEFI secure boot

Summary of the previous discussion:

 * NVIDIA proprietary driver can be installed through GNOME Software. However, if secure boot is enabled, you will get broken graphics and nouveau will be blacklisted. It will only work if secure boot is disabled.
 * Possible actions:
   * Improve the fallback situation
   * Have Software detect if secure boot is off and have it adjust accordingly
   * Find someone to look into automatic enrolement. First step would be to dig into the Ubuntu code. We'd also need to overcome opposition from the Fedora kernel maintainers.

#topic Include usbguard by default

#topic Announcements and status updates

Minutes from last week: